Skip Navigation

Office of Institutional Equity

Religious Accommodations

We know that work and academic requirements sometimes conflict with religious beliefs, practices and observances. If this is the case, we encourage you to submit an accommodation request. JHU is committed to granting religious accommodations as long as they meet the basic requirements.

What is a religious accommodation?

A reasonable religious academic/workplace accommodation is a change in the academic/work environment or in the way academics, tasks or responsibilities are customarily done that enables a student/employee to participate in his/her religious practice or belief without undue hardship on the conduct of Johns Hopkins University's business or operation. Reasonable accommodations are determined on an individual basis.

Submitting a request

To have your request for a religious academic/workplace accommodation considered, please review the following process:

  1. Complete and submit a Request for Religious Workplace Accommodation form. The form will be automatically sent to the Office of Institutional Equity electronically.
  2. For employee requests, OIE will contact Human Resources and the employee's supervisor to discuss the requested accommodation.
  3. For student requests, OIE will contact Student Affairs and the student's advisor/instructor.
  4. Following a HR/Student Affairs review, you will be notified of the decision and/or proposed accommodations.
  5. If you disagree with the decision or proposed accommodation, please contact the Office of Institutional Equity.